(8 recipes) - Created by Pete«
Recipe 7 of 8 »
Southern BBQ Pork Ribs
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 yellow onions, diced
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 15 oz. can tomato sauce
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp chipotle chili powder
1 tablespoon cumin
2 tablespoon tomato paste
4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
3 tablespoons cane syrup, molasses or honey
salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepot and cook the onion until glassy and soft and beginning to brown, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook a further 2 minutes.
2. Add the tomato sauce, chili powder, cumin, tomato paste, stir and cook for 30 minutes. Remove from the heat and leave to cool a few minutes, then transfer to a blender (you may need to do this in batches)... or use a stick blender right in the pot.
3. Pour the sauce back into the pan. Stir in the vinegar, cane syrup (or honey) and Worcestershire sauce and simmer until thickened and reduced, stirring frequently. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. The sauce can be cooled, covered and refrigerated at this point up to three days.
Southern Pork Ribs
4 pounds boneless country style pork ribs
half an onion, sliced
salt and pepper
1. Preheat the oven (or grill, using indirect heat) to 425 degrees F. Line a baking dish that fits the ribs comfortably with foil. Season the ribs all over with salt and pepper, then lay the sliced onions on top. Roast for 30 minutes.
2. Reduce the oven temperature (or grill, again indirect heat) to 350 degrees F. Carefully drain off any accumulated fat from the pan, then pour over all but one cup of the barbecue sauce. Turn the ribs to coat in the sauce with tongs and return the pan to the oven. Roast for 30 minutes, then turn the ribs again and cover the pan tightly with foil and return to the oven. Roast for a further 30 minutes.
3. Heat the remaining sauce in a small pan. Serve the ribs with the extra sauce to spoon over.
SourceURL (modified): https://www.csmonitor.com/The-Culture/Food/Stir-It-Up/2016/0906/Southern-country-ribs-with-watermelon-barbecue-sauce
Submitted by: Pete on July 11, 2020, 3:29 pm
This recipe is included in 1 recipe book.
Share this recipe: